CARBON REDUCTION PLAN
Commitment to Achieving Net Zero
AWTG is committed to achieving Net Zero by 2045. We are currently working to develop a full implementation plan which will allow us to bring this target further forward. All emissions reported and future plans include the entities controlled by AWTG Ltd.
Baseline Emission Footprint
Baseline emissions are a record of the greenhouse gases that have been produced in the past and were produced prior to the introduction of any strategies to reduce emissions. Baseline emissions are the reference point against which emissions reduction can be measured. As it happens the baseline year of 2019 was the start of the Covid-19 pandemic which affected actual utilisation of the office facilities, this continued until 2021. The current reporting year 2022 is a better representation of back to normal working conditions, however it already benefited from carbon reduction programmes that were put in place between 2019 to date.
Baseline Year 2019
- Scope 1: 5.5 metric tons
- Scope 2: 5.6 metric tons
- Scope 3 23.5 metric tons
Current Emission Reporting
Reporting Year to December 2022
- Scope 1: 6.7 metric tons
- Scope 2: 8.5 metric tons
- Scope 3 22.7 metric tons
With the pandemic Covid-19 in 2019 it has skewed the baseline due to staff absences while 2020 and 2021 were characterised with lock-downs in the UK and other countries where AWTG have customers and do businesses. 2022 represents the more realistic emissions with working in offices being back to normal.
The figure on the right illustrates the annual reported emissions from 2019 to 2022.
Emission Reduction Targets
We have adopted the following carbon reduction targets to continue our march toward achieving Net Zero.
- We will reduce our carbon emissions from Scope 1 and 2 emissions to achieve NetZero by 2040 and will put in place interim targets to ensure sufficient progress is made.
- We will continuously update and adjust our report as we identify possible gaps in our reporting
- We will be ISO 14001 certified
Carbon Reduction Projects
The following environmental management measures and projects have been completed or implemented since the 2019/2020 baseline.
- We have achieved ISO 14001 certification
- Reported CDP annually and reported our energy use and carbon emissions through EcoVadis
- We initiated our internal Net Zero project. This included gathering data to inform our baseline scope 1, 2 and 3 carbon emissions and production and measure our annual carbon emissions
- We ran internal awareness campaigns to educate and drive awareness to all our employees and contractors
- We have launched a hybrid approach to working for our staff, which supports homeworking and brings a reduction in the amount of carbon generated through employee commuting.
- We have shared our definition of Net Zero through firm wide meetings
- We have begun consultation with stakeholders to establish a target date, which we will aim to reach Net Zero
- We have launched an environmental policy which outlines our commitment to minimising the negative environmental impact of our activities.
- We are swapping our computing systems with more power efficient machines with less consumption
- We provision TEAMS to all staff to facilitate online meetings and reduce staff travel
Over the next 5 years we plan to implement further measures to continuously drive down our emissions
- Continuously measure and gather data on our emissions to aid reduction.
- Develop a roadmap towards achieving Net Zero
- Work with our suppliers and contractors to achieve Net Zero based on the UK target of Net Zero by 2050.
- Procure renewable energy to our sites and facilities.
- Reduce gas and electricity consumption by making sustainable choices for our heating and cooling needs.
- Implement a sustainable travel policy by reducing business travel by air, rail and road
- Use of e-meetings, MS Teams meetings as much as possible to reduce the need for travelling to our sites and facilities
- Start carbon off-setting initiatives to staff such as joining existing carbon off-setting programmes
- Developing external communications plan such as publishing CSR with focus on carbon reduction in our websites and applications